The Delhi Police, which faced a slew of questions from the high court, on Monday, told that there is no direct video footage which could show that JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar had raised the anti-India slogans on February 9.However, the investigating agency claimed that it has the statements of independent witnesses and other documents which attracted the sedition charge against Kanhaiya.<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Justice Pratibha Rani, who is hearing the bail plea of Kanhaiya, asked the counsel for Delhi Police “Do you have video evidence that Kanhaiya was raising anti-national slogans to establish his active role during the protest earlier this month ?” , to which, Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Tushar Mehta denied of having any video in this regard.In a more than three hours-long hearing, also pulling up the police officers who were present there did not take any action, the court said, “Event was on February 9. SHO was stationed at the JNU gate. When your three policemen were present inside the campus in civil dress, why didn’t they take cognisance when anti-national slogans were raised? Why did they not video record it?, asked the court.Police said independent video was made by someone in his mobile phone in JNU after chief security officer was asked to oversee the event and the video shows Kanhaiya’s presence at the spot.To this, high court questioned whether Kanhaiya was seen shouting slogans. The police admitted that Kanhaiya was present but it has “no footage of him shouting anti-national slogans”.While, the police opposed Kanhaiya’s bail plea, the Delhi government prayed the court to grant him bail, saying “no innocent should be punished” and there is not a single evidence of video/CCTV footage that he raised anti-national slogans.Kanhaiya’s lawyer senior advocate and former Union law minister Kapil Sibal said that he did not raise any anti-national national slogans and did not lead any protest. Kanhaiya reached the venue when he heard that two groups of students were quarrelling.Sibal said, Kanhaiya had intervened to maintain peace between two groups. Kanhaiya was arrested in a sedition case on February 12 after the event held on the university campus to mark the third anniversary of Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru’s execution. Police alleged that he was present and had shouted anti-India slogans at the event.Sibal argued Kanhaiya cannot be held responsible for anti-national slogans, posters or holding of event since he did not take permission for it. Neither the poster carried his name, he added. “People who shouted anti-national students were outsiders,” he said.ASG Mehta countered the argument saying “… Nation can’t permit our students to be infected with such thoughts.”He told the court that joint interrogation of IB and local police showed Kanhaiya was not co-operating. He gave contradictory statements and denied his role, police said.All the independent eyewitnesses identified Kanhaiya and said he was leading to procession. They said Kanhaiya was ‘participating’ in anti-national slogan shouting. “It is a very delicate situation. There appeared to be a movement. And this was beginning of movement. We have to see who has financed it. There were people whose faces were covered,” said ASG.As per police, if Kanhaiya is released, it can have pan India impact. After this incidents similar slogans were raised in Jadavpur university and if he is given bail “then such incidents will get a boost”.During the hearing High Court asked if there were two groups at the spot then “is there any proof that Kanhaiya was leading any group?”. Police said as per witnesses Kanhaiya was there and was leading the slogan shouting, but has no video evidence. Police read out the statements of witnesses in the court.Police told the court a JNU official recorded the protest on his mobile phone, to which high court slammed police for not sealing the phone and sending it to forensic lab. The police said phone was sent to lab but it could not produce documents in support of its submission that mobile was sent to forensic lab.After hearing both parties argument, the court reserved the order for day after.Court extends police custody of Umar, Anirban by one more dayA trial court here on Monday extended the police custody by one day of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) students Umar Khalid and Anirban Bhattacharya. The two students have been charged with sedition in connection to an event held on the JNU campus where anti-national slogans were apparently raised. The court extended custody of the duo, who allegedly organised the event in question, after the police argued that they were required for further investigation to unearth a “larger conspiracy.”As stated by recently retired police commissioner BS Bassi, the case has been transferred to the special cell which deals with anti-terror cases. The request for further probe came from a unit from within this cell. In the joint interrogation of Khalid, Bhattacharya and JNU student Union president Kanhaiya Kumar, the police stated that 22 people present at the event, that include outsiders, have been identified.Bassi had on Saturday told media persons that the investigation was ongoing and people would be arrested as per the investigation.Besides the three students, Rama Naga, Ashutosh Kumar and Anand Narayan Prakash are also allegedly involved. The police have invited the three to join the probe. Ashutosh volunteered and answered the police summons on Saturday morning and has been cooperating with the probe officials since. Ashutosh has been called in for questioning again on Tuesday.Khalid and Bhattacharya have been in police remand since they surrendered and their eventual arrest on February 24.

See the original article here:  

JNU row: HC reserves verdict on Kanhaiya Kumar’s bail plea for March 2