A portion of a Vivekananda flyover near Ganesh Talkies in Girish Park collapsed on Thursday afternoon leaving as many as 21 dead and over 80 people injured. Several others, including a mini-bus carrying passengers, and cars are still trapped under the mounds of rubble. Eye-witnesses say that there could be around 150 people under the debris. LIVE INDIA vs WEST INDIES 2nd semi final T20, ICC World T20Rescue operations are underway, with the light falling only making it more difficult for the army and the NDRF to carry on the rescue operations.<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>While it was rumoured that the Army had entered into a tiff with the Kolkata Police officials resulting in the withdrawal of the troops, it issued a statement later in the evening that the allegations are baseless and that they are still at the spot carrying out the rescue operations.The flyover was the object of some controversy, with lots of residents complaining about it, particularly due to the congestion it caused.Locals complained that the Fire and Emergency Services and Disaster Management Group officials reached the spot very late. They also alleged that the army and NDRF were deployed two hours after the incident took place.While help arrived late, locals played a key role in the rescue operation with most them helping the police trace bodies below the debris and providing constant drinking water to the officials engaged in the rescue operation.Around 9 pm, outgoing Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee reached the Medical College and Hospital to take stock of the situation at the hospital, where the rescued were undergoing treatment. “As many as 12 dead bodies have been handed over to their families and three are awaiting final documentation. 6 bodies are still unidentified, but we are trying to find their families,” she said.A control room, with the helpline number 1070, has been set up to monitor the rescue operations round the clock. “We need to first focus on rescue operation, will see about future course of action later. This is a very serious incident, law will take its course. Opinions of engineering experts will be taken in the matter. We will take care of all the expenses of all the injured, we hope for their speedy recovery,” said Mamata Banerjee. The CM remained at the spot along with other senior ministers and police officers to monitor the rescue operations closely.Meanwhile, as many as three FIRs were registered against the IVRCL infrastructure company by Kolkata Police. The police officials even raided three offices of IVRCL, but no one could be found at the office, say sources. While blaming the construction company IVRCL for the tragedy, Banerjee also blamed the CPI(M) government which had signed the contract with the company while they were power in 2009.The state government announced compensation of Rs 5 lakh for the dead, Rs 2 lakh for the seriously injured and Rs 1 lakh for the injured.

Continue reading here:

Kolkata flyover tragedy: Death toll rises to 21, around 150 people still trapped under debris