On Thursday night, the main accused in the Park Street rape case — where woman’s rights activist Suzette Jordan was apprehended by five men and brutally raped in a moving car — was arrested in Delhi. The arrest comes four years after the incident. Jordan passed away in March 2015.

Besides the main accused Kader Khan, the police arrested an accomplice named Ali. The two will be produced before a local court in Kolkata on Friday, reported DNA.

On 10 December 2015, nine months after Jordan’s death, three accused who were on trial in the case were pronounced guilty. The Additional Sessions Judge Chiranjib Bhattacharya of the City Sessions Court had pronounced Ruman Khan, Naser Khan and Sumit Bajaj guilty of gangrape, criminal conspiracy, voluntarily causing hurt, criminal intimidation and common intention, under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code. The court sentenced them to a term of 10 years in jail. At the time Kader Khan and Ali were in hiding.

A file photo of Suzette Jordan.A file photo of Suzette Jordan.

A file photo of Suzette Jordan.

Jordan — then 40 years old, a divorcee and mother of two — was beaten up and gangraped at gun point inside a moving car and then thrown off the vehicle near Kolkata city intersection on the night of 5 February, 2012, after she had come out of a night club on the fashionable Park Street.

Jordan, who came forward and revealed her identity on television in June 2013, fought her case against heavy odds.

Days after she filed the complaint on 9 February, 2012, ignoring disparaging comments and initial reluctance of the Park Street police station personnel, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee called it a “cooked up case” and alleged that the woman was trying to malign the state government.

Banerjee’s remarks were widely flayed by the civil society and the public, but that was not the end of Jordan’s ordeal.

Trinamool MP Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar called the entire episode “a sex deal gone wrong”, while minister Madan Mitra questioned what she was doing at a night club so late in the night and dubbed the rape allegation a “fabricated complaint meant to extort money”.

However Jordan decided to go public about her ordeal and even urged the world to call her a “rape survivor” and not as the “Park Street rape victim”.

On 13 March 2015, she died of multi-organ failure after being diagnosed with encephalitis.

With inputs from IANS


Park Street rape case: Main accused Kader Khan arrested in Delhi