<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Congress on Monday alleged crores were spent on the wedding of Union minister Nitin Gadkari’s daughter and demanded BJP should make public details of expenses made.Terming the wedding as extravagant, Congress spokesperson Gaurav Gogoi wondered whether such kind of ostentation fits into Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s precedent of transparency by revealing bank details of its members and MLAs post demonetization. “The Congress party demands for the sake of transparency that BJP leaders explain where this money spent in weddings had come from and how this money has been spent, how much in cash and how much in cheques. We are demanding because the Prime Minister in his recent political meeting took a precedent of showing transparency by revealing the details of its members and MLAs as well,” he said. “Why don’t you reveal details of expenses at these weddings as well. Since it is the government which has set the rules of Rs 2.5 lakh for weddings, why doesn’t the government tell its ministers and MPs that this is the time not for extravaganza and ostentatious display of wealth,” he asked.Gogoi also alleged that it shows the “wide disconnect” between the BJP and the people of the country. “It also shows there is one law for the rest of the country and the prime minister has set aside a different law for BJP leaders,” he said. “The people of India are hurt by the insensitive and ostentatious display of wealth and they will reply in due course of time,” he said.The MP from Assam said the onus is on the government to show sensitivity towards the poor, who are struggling with Rs 2.5 lakh to carry out the weddings in their families. He said the Prime Minister had given the message that meetings should not be held at hotels, yet such 5-star venues and hotels have been booked by BJP leaders at a time when people are struggling to pay vendors. “I think it is extremely ostentatious, extravagant, insensitive and is a mockery of the struggle that the poor is going through,” he said. After these remarks, Gogoi faced some ticklish questions on the lavish wedding of a senior party leader from Kerala. When asked if his party would also ask the leader to make the expenses public, he suggested that the BJP should first walk the talk. Gogoi said this is the season of weddings when there is joy and happiness among people, but their dreams have been dashed by Prime Minister’s demonetization announcement.
A BJP member, who was part of three-member team sent by the party to Kerala in connection with rape and murder of a Dalit girl, today made a demand in Lok Sabha for a CBI probe, alleging “several lapses” in the investigation carried out by the local police.The law student was brutally raped and murdered on April 28, triggering a political controversy in Kerala, which is going to polls on May 16.<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Arjun Ram Meghwal said there have been “several lapses” in investigations into the incident.
ALSO READ Kerala rape and murder case: Police chief denies major lapses in initial stage of investigationUnderlining that it is a “sensitive case”, he said CBI should investigate the matter. In this regard, he said, he would be writing to the Prime Minister and the Home Minister.Meghwal was part of BJP’s “fact-finding” committee which visited Kerala earlier this week. Other members of the committee were Meenakshi Lekhi and Udit Raj, both Lok Sabha members.Meghwal also said the special investigation team set up should be headed by DGP.According to him, immediately after the incident, the provisions of the SC/ST Prevention of Atrocities Act were not used and no medical board was set up.He also alleged that FIR was not filed on the same day and even after filing the FIR, the medical board was not set up.Congress, which is in power in Kerala, hit back, with its member Gaurav Gogoi saying the rape case of a 13-year-old girl in BJP-ruled Rajasthan should also be handed over to the CBI, eliciting strong protests from the BJP.
At least 12 persons were injured in a clash between two groups at Miranpur town over a minor dispute, police said on Saturday.The incident occurred on Friday night when two persons, Nizam and Manoj Mishra, confronted each other after Nizam hit Manoj’s dog with his motorcycle, following which the situation turned violent with the use of stones and lathis, Superintendent of police (rural) Rakesh Jolly said.<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The injured persons– Himashu, Harshit, Rajan, Kallu, Sandeep, Gaurav, Sunil Choudhry, Ashok, Manoj, Nizam– and two others have been taken to a local hospital, police said. Security has been tightened in the village and extra police deployed.
The nominations of 586 candidates have been found valid for the sixty five constituencies going to the poll in the first phase of Assembly elections on April 4. A total of 599 candidates had filed nominations for the first phase.”Out of this, 13 were rejected,” Additional Chief Electoral Officer of Assam Gaurav Bothra told a press conference here. The detailed list and names of the rejected and valid candidates were still coming in from different districts and the final picture would be known by tomorrow, he said. For the second phase of poll on April 11 involving 61 constituencies in the 126-seat Assam Assembly, 35 candidates have filed their nominations till now. <!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The notification for these seats was issued on March 15, while the last date for filing of nomination is March 22. The scrutiny of these nominations will be done on March 24 and the last date for withdrawing the same is March 26.The counting of votes in all constituencies will take place on May 19.
Four Kashmiri students, who were arrested following rumours that they cooked beef in their hostel room in Rajasthan’s Chittorgarh, have been released, police said on Thursday, claiming the meat in their posession was prima facie not of the cow.The police have also identified the man who allegedly spread the rumour on a whatsapp group and legal action has been initiated against him, they said. “The four Kashmiri students were arrested and later released by the SDM court yesterday after they furnished personal bonds of Rs 25,000 each,” Superintendent of Police, Chittorgarh, Prasanna Kumar said today.<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –> “We have also identified a local man named Gaurav who had circulated the rumour on a whatsapp group which created tension on Monday night,” he said. The students studying at a private university were allegedly manhandled by some other students after the rumour spread but police said the meat was not found to be beef. The Kashmiri youths were also alleged to have beaten up a local journalist when a crowd had gathered in front of the Mewar University to protest alleged cooking of beef.The students were arrested yesterday under section 151 of CrPC (Arrest to prevent commission of cognizable offences). Kumar said the meat which was brought to the university by the Kashmiri students was not beef and it became clear during the investigation.”We have verified it from the butcher that it was not beef. However, we have sent samples to the Forensic Science Laboratory and the report is awaited,” he said. The officer said a notice was also served to the university after a few cases were registered in different matters involving its students in the recent past, including the episode related to the Kashmiri youths. “We have asked them to improve the situation and the university administration has assured they will ensure there is no problem related to law and order,” the officer said. We were a bit scared but all well now: Kashmiri students on beef rowA day after they were arrested following rumours that they had cooked beef inside a university in Rajasthan’s Chhittorgarh district, the Kashmiri students today said they were a “bit scared” initially but the situation got better after police intervened.”At that particular time, we were a bit of scared that a mob has arrived and we were confused… We had taken refuge in a room and early morning when we were handed over to the police and they took us to the custody and it was nothing, they were quite friendly,” one of the four students told the media.Asked why the police took them to custody, he said “actually they (police) didn’t take us when the incident happened. We went to the Registrar’s office and they asked us which meat that was and from where we had bought this.”They asked us to show the shop from where we bought it and they took us along with them and we remained in custody for around 26 hours and it was a quite friendly atmosphere,” the student said after their release.
The complainant-witness of the killings of two youths at Kawal village, following which riots occurred in Muzaffarnagar district in 2013, was cross examined in the court here on Tuesday. The complainant Arvind Kumar was cross-examined by the defence lawyer Nasir Ali Zaidi. Additional District Sessions judge Ombir Singh later deferred the hearing and fixed March 16 for continuing cross examination of the witness in the case. <!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>According to prosecution, two youths Gaurav and Sachin were beaten to death by the five accused at Kawal village in the district on August 27, 2013. SIT had filed the charge sheet against the accused in November 2014. After the killing of the youths were killed riots had spread in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining area in which mode than 60 people were killed and thousands displaced.
President of the Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA) Dushyant Dave on Monday stepped down from the post alleging he was finding it difficult to work with the executive committee. He took the decision after an “acrimonious” meeting of the executive committee held in the afternoon.The senior advocate said it was difficult for him to continue at the post of SCBA president after what had happened in the “unprecedented meeting” of the executive committee.<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>”I have resigned. It was because I found it difficult to work with the executive committee which held an unprecedented and acrimonious meeting today. I wanted to work for the bar and was not interested in any politics,” Dave told PTI.”I was not able to work for the bar so I stepped down,” he said.In his resignation letter, Dave said, “I must place on record my gratitude to all those who put their faith in me and I thank them from the bottom of my heart. I must, however, tender my sincere apology for taking this step…I hope and trust you will understand my predicament. I wish the SCBA lots of good luck and assure that as a Member I will always be happy to extend my help if needed,” he said.When contacted, senior advocate Ajit Sinha, who is the vice-president of SCBA, said he tried his best to resolve the issue between Dave and SCBA secretary Gaurav Bhatia but did not succeeded in getting a fruitful result.”In spite of my best efforts to resolve the issue between president and secretary, he (Dave) did not relent,” Sinha said.Sources said that Dave and Bhatia were at loggerheads over the functioning of the association and even the members of the executive committee were expecting that its president would give respect to the committee’s decision.”There were exchange of letters between the president and the secretary,” a source said, adding that the president was not happy with the decision of the executive committee overruling some of his proposals.The sources also claimed Dave had given instructions to the office staff not to abide by the orders of the secretary and that was revoked by the executive committee.