<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia met Lieutenant Governor (LG) Najeeb Jung on Wednesday to discuss the plan of establishing mohalla clinics in schools and appointment of discom directors. LG Jung had recently turned down the proposal for Delhi government’s flagship project of mohalla clinics, and sent it back for reassessment.After the meeting, Sisodia said the LG had some confusion regarding the proposal. “Mohalla clinics will be very important for the 15 lakh students studying in government schools. Every student can be provided with world-class healthcare through the move. There can’t be a better model for them. Now we are awaiting the LG’s approval,” Sisodia said.He further said: “The confusion was regarding the private school clause and whether clinics could be opened in these schools. That is, however, not the case.”An official, however, said: “The Delhi School Education Act doesn’t allow establishing anything else in the school premises. It would also pose a safety concern for the students.”The LG office and the Delhi government have also locked horns over the appointment of directors to discoms. “As far as that issue is concerned, we have apprised the LG that it is not morally correct to appoint Secretaries or Principal Secretaries as directors in discoms because they have to take important decisions. We have asked the LG to appoint junior officials and experts in the board of directors. He has assured us that the matter will be discussed further,” the Deputy CM said.Earlier, the Aam Aadmi Party-led government had nominated directors to the boards of three power distribution companies — BRPL, BYPL and TPDDL. The government has, in all, a 49 per cent stake in these firms. The LG, however, disapproved of the appointments.In a letter to the LG, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had said: “It becomes a conflict when the top-most officers of the government formally become a part of the decision-making in discoms and then those decisions come before the government for consideration. It becomes difficult to question decisions of government officers, leading to orders that are not in the interest of consumers.”The LG office, however, sought fresh nomination of professionals, and also asked the government to follow all orders. “The usual practice, so far, has been that the LG approves any such decision according to the Electricity Act,” an official from the LG office had stated.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Congress MLA Nirmala Devi, the prime accused who went underground after the police firing incident on October 1 at Chirudih coal mining site of the NTPC at Barkagaon, was arrested on Tuesday from Oakni Mohalla of this town, the police said. The police firing had claimed four lives and left over a dozen injured.According to DIG (North Chotonagpur Range) Upendra Kumar,soon after her arrest she was taken to an undisclosed place by the police for interrogation. Later, she was produced in the court of the Sub-divisional Judicial Magistrate Richa Srivastava after her medical examination in the Hazaribagh Sadar Hospital. After examining all details, the court sent her to 14 days judicial custody.Earlier in the day, Superintendent of Police, Hazaribagh,Bhimsen Tuti said a warrant was obtained from the court against Devi in connection with case no 228/16, which was filed in the Barkagaon police station by the district administration following the violence on October 1. The incident occurred after the Congress MLA was taken to the police station during a protest, he said. Tuti said violence triggered when Devi was forcibly freed by the crowd near Kolgarha village and the policemen were attacked by a violent mob. In order to “save their lives”, the police had fired 68 rounds, he said. The SP said two other cases were also filed by NTPC against the agitators, who were staging a protest and were allegedly preventing a private construction company to take heavy machines to Chirudih for mining operation.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday claimed that all “efficient and honest” officers working with the AAP government were being marked and removed systematically and termed it as “dirty politics”. His remark came a day after Lt Governor Najeeb Jung stripped senior officer Tarun Seem of his charge as the Director General of Delhi Health Services. Seem took over as the DGHS in October last year and was piloting the AAP government’s ambitious ‘Mohalla Clinic’ project.Sources said Seem was relieved of his “temporary” charge after he had allegedly delayed printing of information and educational material for awareness about malaria, dengue and chikungunya.However, Seem has denied the allegation, saying his “record has been without a fault”. The officer is currently in charge of Delhi State Health Mission.As per an order issued by Delhi Health Department after the Lt Governor’s nod, Beena Khurana, CMO (SAG), will look after the charge of DGHS till a regular incumbent is posted. Seem, a 1992-batch IRS officer, is said to be close to Health Minister Satyendra Jain who had lauded him for leading the Mohalla Clinic project, a pet scheme of the Kejriwal government which aimed to provide affordable, high quality healthcare to people near their residence.Kejriwal and his deputy Manish Sisodia had earlier slammed Jung for removing the senior officer as the Delhi Health Secretary.
Lucknow: The death toll from dengue has crossed the 100 mark and still the vector borne disease shows no signs of relenting in Uttar Pradesh.
In the past two days, more than 150 patients have tested positive for dengue and the humid weather continues to add to the spread of the disease.
Health Department officials while refusing to admit the high toll, said the situation was “serious and worrisome”.
The number of dengue patients here touched 1,356, including a large number of children and aged people.
After a literal epidemic in a locality Faizullaganj — more than 200 people are down with dengue. A large number of people have migrated to safer places.
Garbage dumps and water-logged roads, they said, were adding to the breeding of mosquitoes, endangering their lives further.
While fogging and sprinkling of anti-larva pesticides is being done at some places, these steps are apparently not enough.
The health wing of the municipal corporation is also short staffed with just 85-odd employees to tackle the menace.
The Lucknow Nagar Nigam (LNN) has declared 15 local wards as sensitive zones for dengue spread.
These include Faizaullaganj, Jankipuram, Chitraguptanagar, Sarojininagar, Shardanagar, Kashmiri Mohalla, New Haiderganj, Ismailganj and Kanhaiyya Madhopur, an official informed IANS.
Facilities for platelets and beds at hospitals are also not adequate, relatives of patients complained.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and chief secretary Rahul Bhatnagar are monitoring the situation personally, but Lucknow and other districts of the state are still far from safe.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Firing a fresh salvo at Chief Minister Arvind Kerjriwal over “anti-people” liquor policy, former AAP leader Prashant Bhushan asked on Sunday whether he will resume opening of liquor vends after one year when the MCD and Punjab elections are over. Questioning why opening of liquor vends has been suspended only for a year, he demanded shutting down of such shops which were opened without approval from local residents.The Swaraj Abhiyan founder said there was no legal sanction granted to Mohalla Sabhas to close the liquor vends and accused Kejriwal of misleading the people. “Why has Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s announcement of not opening any new liquor shops been made only for one year. Does Kejriwal want to resume his anti-people liquor policy after the MCD elections in Delhi and Assembly elections in Punjab,” he said at press conference in Noida.Earlier, Abhiyan had alleged that 58 wine shops have opened up in Delhi ever since the AAP government came to power and had demanded closure of shops where people were opposing them. Announcing the new excise policy, the government had said no new liquor shop except in malls, will come up in Delhi in the current financial year and the mohalla sabhas will be empowered to shut existing neighbourhood vends if there are complaints of “nuisance”.”What is the legal sanction behind the CM’s declaration about the role of Mohalla Sabha in closure of existing liquor shops. The Delhi government has no interest in passing the Swaraj bill which would have granted the legal sanction to the units of Mohalla Sabha,” he said. “Why is the government trying to mislead by saying that Mohalla Sabhas will have the power to remove liquor vends when the fact remains that no such powers have been granted yet,” he said.”Further liquor shops should be allotted only after approval from Mohalla Sabhas, instead of shops being opened first and then closing or transferring them if Mohalla Sabhas oppose them. Only those shops should be advertised which have sanction of Mohalla Sabhas,” Bhushan said. He termed the recent newspaper advertisements and announcements regarding Mohalla Sabhas as “political rhetoric meant for media consumption”. He claimed that the Delhi government, in four RTI replies, gave different figures for the number of new liquor shops opened by AAP government since it came to power and asked the reason for the varying numbers. “The superficial exercise with no substantiative legislative step of forming Mohalla Sabhas in Delhi is being used as a cadre building exercise for upcoming MCD elections,” Bhushan said.Claiming that Kejriwal has made a sudden U-turn on the draft excise policy under pressure of Swaraj Abhiyan’s campaign, he asked if Delhi government would share the draft in public domain, for a week, for general public’s suggestions before releasing it, as the formal policy declaration has already been delayed. He said a public hearing will be held by Swaraj Abhiyan on August 23 at the liquor vend in Khajoori (Karawal Nagar) and demanded that at least 11 shops identified by Mohalla Sabhas be closed immediately.
Giving a new twist to the rifle-snatching case, the Jammu and Kashmir Police on Wednesday detained a BJP leader for questioning after investigators suspected the ‘inside job’ behind the sensational crime.On Tuesday, BJP leader Ghulam Mohammad Chopan had claimed that suspected militants disarmed his personal security officer (PSO) Bashir Ahmad and decamped with his service rifle when they stormed into his residence at Gori Mohalla, Panzan in Chadoora of central Kashmir’s Budgam district.<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>However, investigations revealed that Bashir Ahmad was not present in the house when the crime was committed. Ahmad was at his home which is in the same neighbourhood. Police sources said Ahmad had kept the AK 56 riffle at BJP leader’s house and when some people came, it was handed over to them by his family members.”PSO was not at the residence of Chopan when some people came and asked the family members to hand over the gun. His family members immediately went inside and handed over the gun and magazines to them. Later the suspects fled away on the bikes,” said a police source.Police sources said Chopan was detained because he tried to mislead the investigators and lie about the PSO being disarmed. “We are trying to find out why he lied? Did he try to mislead on someone’s behest? We are questioning him to unravel the truth,” said a source.Chopan had even claimed that the militants took away the battery of his phone to prevent him from informing the police.Chopan, who was present at his residence at the time of incident, had unsuccessfully contested the 2014 Assembly elections from Charar-e-Sharief constituency on BJP ticket.
Srinagar: Two separatist militants were killed in a gunbattle with security forces in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district.
A senior police officer here said, “Security forces surrounded a house in Beigh Mohalla area on Friday morning.”
“When the forces closed on the house where militants were hiding, they came under heavy gunfire from the militants.
“Firing exchanges are still going on in the area,” the official added.
Srinagar: Three unidentified militants were killed in a day-long gunbattle between ultras and security forces in Bandipora district of Jammu and Kashmir, army officials said.
Three rifles and one Under Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL) have been recovered from them, they said.
No army official has been killed or injured in the operation.
The encounter started this morning after security forces launched a cordon and search operation at Khushi Mohalla in the district, about 35 kms from here, following information about presence of militants there, police said.
One militant was killed in the gunbattle by the afternoon, police said.
An encounter is currently underway between the security forces and militants in Hajin area of Jammu and Kashmir’s Bandipora district. As per the information, two militants are believed to be hiding in the area. The encounter started after security forces launched a cordon cum search operation at Khushi Mohalla in the district, 35 kms from here, following information about presence of militants in the area, a police official said.<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>First visuals of Bandipora encounter: 2 militants believed to be hiding (Visuals deferred by unspecified time) pic.twitter.com/eMpD4uSi14 February 4, 2016Further details are awaited. An unidentified militant was killed on January 26, 2016 in a gunbattle with security forces in South Kashmir’s Anantnag district.An encounter broke out at 4 .00 am in Kokernag district. A militant was killed and his identity is yet to be ascertained, police said. One AK 47 and three magazines were also recovered from the slain militant.Kokernag district. A militant was killed and his identity is yet to be ascertained, police said. One AK 47 and three magazines were also recovered from the slain militant.With agency inputs.
“Out biggest priority is health and education. Earlier it used to cost rupees five crore for constructing a Mohalla Clinic now I have made those clinics at a cost of Rs 20 lakh only,” he said.
<!– /.block –>TOP <!– /.block –>
Barack Obama says he was himself surprised by his public crying <!– /.block –>
<!– /.block –>
<!– /.block –>
<!– /.block –>
Also ReadIndiaExtensive search operation on in GurdaspurIndiaDA case: SC to commence hearing against Jayalalithaa’s acquittal on February 2IndiaKejriwal’s odd-even ad: BJP slams ‘media-hungry’ AAPIndiaSuspected al-Qaeda operative was ‘facilitator’: Delhi PoliceIndiaDDCA row: Delhi government probe panel unconstitutional and illegal, says CentreIndiaMaharashtra to hire retired officers, employees for special tasks: Devendra Fadnavis <!– /.block –>
<!– /#sidebar-second –>Microsoft creating its own SIM card for cross-carrier cellular data access<!– /.block –>Barack Obama says he was himself surprised by his public crying<!– /.block –> <!– /#content_bottom –>
<!– /11440465/DNA_Article_Desktop_970x90_BTF –><!– /.block –><!– /11440465/DNA_Article_Tablet_728x90_BTF –><!– /.block –> <!– /#bottom_bar –>
<!– footer start –>
Partner site: Zee News
©2016 Diligent Media Corporation Ltd.
<!– footer end –><!– ExpCom CGP –>